Since February 2021, the STAI campaign has canvassed tenants facing eviction in 4 counties: Marion, Johnson, Vigo, and Delaware. In Marion county alone, STAI has knocked on 350 doors to give tenants resources and persuade them to attend court. With the ending of CDC moratorium and a new tenant advocacy program initiated by the Indianapolis city-county council and local legal organizations, STAI wishes to continue its work to empower tenants and connect them to local resources. To get involved, fill out our volunteer intake form or contact us at [email protected]
Central Indiana DSA acknowledges that we reside on the traditional homelands of the Miami, Kiikaapoi, and Sioux people. Our residence here is the result of genocide and land dispossession justified by the ideologies of white supremacy and capitalism.
Statement of Values
The Housing Committee of CINDSA is committed to housing as a human right. We advocate for the rights of tenants and houseless people. We seek to remedy the impact of settler colonialism and white supremacy on housing, working in solidarity with local BIPOC groups. This committee welcomes the input of those most affected by housing injustice and invites their leadership on these issues. We support public investment over private profit as the means to guarantee housing for all.
Resources for Housing during COVID-19
- Information on Housing Rights During COVID-19
- Tenant’s Rights Card
- FAQs on Indianapolis’s “Notice of Tenant Rights and Responsibilities”
- Advocate for housing needs during the pandemic.
- Support COVID emergency assistance program.
- Create and distribute housing rights materials.
- Oppose vouchers and support public housing.
- For example, HB 1300: state law prohibiting local governments from requiring any builders to participate in Section 8 programs or a similar program, and
- SB 558: prohibits local governments from passing zoning ordinances that controls the rent or purchase price or includes any requirement that has the effect of controlling rent
- Advocate for Fair Housing legislative protections for LGBTQ* folx.
- Advocate for the establishment of a Human Relations Commission in Indianapolis.
- Work with local elected representatives who support fair housing and local policies experts.
If you are interested in working on housing projects with CINDSA contact us at: [email protected]